Flanderwell Primary School
Relationships & Sex Education
At Flanderwell, our children will experience high quality teaching of RSE (Relationships and Sex Education) that we hope will allow them to gain an understanding of how relationships can be different and that we should be accepting of the choices others make. We aim to shape our children into being confident individuals by teaching the fundamental building blocks and characteristics of positive relationships, which include; families and people who care for me, caring friendships, respectful relationships, online relationships and being safe.
We follow CWP which sets out the aims and programmes of study for RSE, ensuring that our curriculum coverage is consistent across year groups and key stages, whilst also ensuring that disciplinary knowledge is built upon each year. The purpose of this, is to ensure that all teachers are able to support pupils in developing their own knowledge and understanding about RSE, resulting in them being able to make appropriate links to learning within the community and throughout their lives.
See below the programme of study for each year group during the academic year 2021-2022.
The aims of relationships and sex education (RSE) at our school are to:
- Provide a framework in which sensitive discussions can take place
- Prepare pupils for puberty, and give them an understanding of sexual development and the importance of health and hygiene
- Help pupils develop feelings of self-respect, confidence and empathy
- Create a positive culture around issues of sexuality and relationships
- Teach pupils the correct vocabulary to describe themselves and their bodies
In order to achieve the above aims, children will be taught a range of disciplinary knowledge:
- CWP have devised new lessons, increased our focus on families, relationships, safeguarding/keeping children safe and added Additional units on Respect and Equality and FGM. This resource encourages children to develop the skills of listening, empathy, talking about feelings and relationships with families and friends.
- In Reception we focus on families and friendships. From Year 1 children will learn the names of the body parts, the differences between males and females and the ways in which they will develop and grow. Importantly, they will also learn to recognise unsafe and risky situations and to ask for help.
- The curriculum continues to develop their knowledge and skills as they learn about the physical and emotional changes of puberty and about reproduction.
In Year 6 we have added an extra lesson on internet safety and communication in relationships.
The above expectations are set out in the Department for Education’s guidance for schools on Relationship Education, RSE and Health Education.
RECEPTION:(FS2) Reception – Scheme of work
YEAR 1 : Year 1 – Scheme of work
YEAR 2: Year 2 – Scheme of work
YEAR 3: Year 3 – Scheme of work
YEAR 4:Year 4 – Scheme of work
YEAR 5: Year 5 – Scheme of work
YEAR 6: Year 6 – Scheme of work
GUIDE FOR PARENTS: Understanding RSE in your Child’s Primary School
UPDATED RSE DOCUMENTATION FOR SEPT 2021: