Teacher: Miss E. Cunningham
Teaching Assistant: Mrs A. Shaw
Our topic this term… Into the Forest
Our work this term will be based on The Minpins, by Roald Dahl
In Literacy, we will write diary entries, recounts and exciting stories, as well as taking part in lots of drama activities.
We will be following the Abacus scheme in Maths to learn how to solve problems using place value. We will also be adding and subtracting multiples of ten and learning our three and four times tables.
Our times table focus will be on the 2, 5, 10, 3 and 4 times tables. Children have the chance to earn their gold badge if they can recall all multiplications and the related division facts for each time table.
- Science: In Science we will be learning about plants and investigating the best conditions to grow them.
- History: In History, we will be learning about the life of Roald Dahl
- Geography: In Geography, we will learn about where we live, locating the United Kingdom on a map and locating different urban areas.
- Art and DT: In Art we will be creating character sketches in the style of Quentin Blake and we will be using oil pastels to recreate art work by Klimt.
- ICT: In ICT, we will be learning how to create a PowerPoint presentation.
- Music: In Music, we will be learning the song ‘Let Your Spirit Fly’
- PE: Our PE topics for this term are cross country, hockey and football.
- PSHCE: Topics that we will cover are: The caring school, feelings, friends and friendships and loss, separation and relationships.
- RE: In RE, our focus will be on Hinduism this term.
PE Days- Our PE days are Monday and Wednesday
Reading Scheme – Books are changed on Wednesday
Remember on your way home…
Maths homework will be sent home on a Friday. Please hand this back in on a Wednesday, placing it in the blue box in the classroom. On the first Friday of every month, a reading comprehension homework will be sent out instead of the Maths homework. We will go through the reading comprehension homework at school first, and then go through the answers together the next week.
Spelling rules will be taught and tested in class through the Read, Write, Inc spelling scheme. I will also send a copy of the year 3/4 common exception words for you to practise with your child at home.
The scheme book is changed every Tuesday and handed back out on the same day. You are welcome to change your child’s individual reading colour band book any day of the week before and after school. The individual colour band books are located in the book corner.
The more times your child reads at home, the further they will proceed along the reading race track, which is situated in our classroom, next to Miss Cunningham’s desk. They can also earn certificates for the amount of times they read. Our school target is for your child to read at least three times a week at home- if they achieve this target they will receive a team point.
Children will need to wear black shorts and a white t-shirt for PE. They will need to bring trainers or pumps in case we do outdoor PE. Hair needs to be tied back and earrings need to be removed or plasters/ micropore tape needs to be provided.